So we emailed our registered users and also used a live chat client called Olark to communicate with our non registered visitors. These were the most recurring answers:
1) “I can’t listen to a particular station”
2) “I have issues looking for stations”
3) “I can’t access the whole Streema directory on my mobile device”
As for the first issue, not being able to listen to a particular station, this is the most complicated one. It can be caused by several different reasons, and here are some of them:
- Required plugins are missing which are needed to get our player to work.
- Codecs that the stations use aren’t supported.
- Streams have changed recently and we don’t have the latest one.
- Stations aren’t streaming online anymore or simply aren’t broadcasting at all.
- Geographical restrictions exist, likely due to location-specific licensing issues.
- Connectivity issues happen while trying to listen to a station.
- Listener capacity is full.
- And the list goes on…
So what are we doing about all these issues? Our technical team is currently working on adding new codec capabilities to our player, but it is very difficult to support ALL the codecs that exist, so it might take a while to get your favorite station to work on Streema.
Also, our content team is currently working together with radio station owners to keep our database up-to-date, with as many working streams as possible. And of course, we are constantly upgrading our infrastructure to service our growing user base.
The truth is that there are many issues and since it is almost impossible to solve them all of them immediately we arrived at the conclusion that it is essential to communicate WHY you can’t listen to your favorite station and WHAT you need to do in order to listen to it. That is why we’ll be working hard on enhancing our player’s notifications to the user. And by doing so, we can continue to build Streema as the go-to website for listening to broadcast radio.
As for the second biggest pain point, which is to be able to easily find stations, we have something in the works. As we mentioned on our previous post, we are currently working on a restyle of Streema’s website for desktop users, and as a part of this process we are re-thinking and improving how our users discover radio stations. We will have some news really soon! 🙂
And finally, regarding our mobile users, we will continue to build a better mobile browser version while we start planning our next move. Who knows, there might be something ‘native’ in our near future… 😉
Thanks once again for your feedback, and please, be patient, we are working hard to improve our player and we really look forward to have the best listening experience on the web.
That’s all for now. Please do let us know what you think!
The Streema Team